Monday 7 October 2019

Fairwells and Recovery


Dawn on the last day of my parents' visit. How fast the time flies! But we packed so much into it: walking tours and memorials, boat rides, tea fields, wild animals, royal palaces and golden monkeys. An incredible three weeks, and so glad they made it out to visit.

We spent the last day doing some gift shopping. Headed to Kigali Pottery, Caplaki Craft Village and Azizi Life for their Beeutiful Creations honey, which is delicious. They bought lots of nice treats to take back with them, and I was well enough to accompany them to the airport at 5 a.m. Thursday morning. 

Can't believe they've gone already when it's been months in the planning. So glad we got to do everything and that they really seemed to love Rwanda. A few unexpected adventures, such as getting stuck in the mud at Akagera and trekking in the rain, which added to the experience. They got to see all five provinces of the country: Kigali (capital), Western Province (Kibuye), Northern Province (Gisenyi), Eastern Province (Akagera) and Southern Province (Nyanza).

Hopefully not their last trip to Africa as there's so much more to see. 

I flopped back into bed once Emmy dropped me home, and remained there until the following day, when my wonderful fella made the three-hour journey down from Pfunda to come and see me at my least attractive. 

Seriously, malaria sucks balls.

He brought lots of fresh fruit and sympathy. I was sparko when he arrived, attempted to throw up shortly after that, then preceded to sweat profusely at him until it was time for my meds.

I think this one's a keeper.

By the end of the weekend, he'd managed to get me out of the house and taken me to two lovely restaurants, Borneo and the rather expensive Brachetto. On the one hand, it's a little cruel to go to such nice restaurants when you have malaria, because one of the symptoms is that you lose all desire to eat. On the other hand, it was distinctly cunning as the food was so lovely, I had to try a tiny bit. It started with a forkful of rice and ended with me face-first in the foie gras.

Iced tea overlooking the convention centre.
Poor guy gave me all his energy.

It was a wonderfully restful weekend for the whole household, including the cats, who were allowed to snuggle up with us in a rare waiver of my 'no cats in the bedroom' rule. Feeling a thousand times better thanks to so much TLC.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!