Saturday 2 August 2014

Random Happy


:))))))))))

Heeheeheeheehee.

So, my landlord got home tired and a bit stressed. I said he should stay tonight rather than try to pack. He offered me the master bedroom, but his stuff's in there, so I said I'd be happy to crash in the spare room (utter hardship, I'll get to that in a minute...). He showed me around - the usual: which keys fit what, which switches turn on/off the lights.

Then he said he was going into town to meet some friends. I was going to lock the door behind him, so we were saying goodbye when I asked if there was anywhere to get take-out nearby. I hadn't eaten and wasn't too sure what to do about food as I hadn't had a chance to buy any vegetables.

So began an utterly random and fabulously awesome night.

He suggested getting food in Kisimenti. We took motos up there, but my default bar, Izola, was packed and very loud, so he suggested walking up the road a bit. I thought he meant to Sole Luna, but it was getting late and the place looked closed. We were already chatting away by then, and we just kept walking.

We walked, and talked, all the way to Sundowner, which took about an hour. It's the most exercise I've had in a month and my body was singing with gratitude.




I'd only been to this bar once, about six years ago, and boy had the place changed. It's super cool. All fairy lights and loud music. I saw more muzungus in one night than I think I've seen since I got here, but predominantly Rwandans and Indians. A truly multi-cultural hangout. 

Spotted a table of what I can only assume to be Brits from the evidence. Very proud of my countrywo/men.




As it turns out, my landlord is a bit of a dude. Like Fidens, he's a really interesting guy to chat to, and kind-hearted and intelligent. Everything you could ask for in a drinking buddy.

We were joined by his cousin at about 1am, and she got us up on the dance floor for a little boogie, where we briefly bumped into Jon from The Office. Turns out my landlord used to be a semi-regular member, and knows Jon quite well. Now I'm renting a house from him. As Jon said, 'small town.'

I had to bail around 2am as I was starting to flag, and wanted to give my landlord a chance to catch up with his cousin, who was visiting from France. Hopped a moto home, but turns out he'd given me the wrong gate key by mistake. My guard was sound asleep, so I ended up zooming back across town to get the right key. It was pretty funny, locked out of my own house on the first night. I've also perfected the art of napping on the back of a moto, and can now ride arms folded like a local again, even over speed bumps. My 'moto sense' has returned. 

So, it was around 3am when I got in, and just gone 4am now that I've brushed my teeth and finished typing. I'm camped out in the spare room. The photo does not do it justice, the bed is a huge queen-sized, and this is only the small one! Not only that, but I squealed with joy and disbelief - it is a sprung mattress! Not Rwandafoam (TM)! A proper, proper, bouncy bed. I may never leave it again.

Also realised that you could actually walk, quite comfortably, from my house to the airport. Fascinating thought that, had I the money, I could just wheel my suitcase to the end of the road and go anywhere in the world. Something to aspire to.

For now, I'm about to shut down my computer, roll over and sleep for England, or Rwanda... possibly the entire African continent.

It is blissfully silent here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!