Wednesday 20 August 2014

Graduation

Selfie Central: Me, Asna & Amina

Gosh, it's been yet another week between updates. Been so busy. 

Had a lovely night last night. I was invited to this gorgeous lady's graduation meal at Classic Hotel. Very honoured, and lovely to meet her family and be a part of her big day. 

In Rwanda, on graduation, students remain far more sober than they do in the UK. It's very much a family affair. There are soft drinks to begin with, then a meal (goat brochettes and chips) then friends and family make their speeches, building up to Mum and Dad, who were clearly extremely proud of her.

Congratulations lady, here starts the rest of everything.

Also this week, I have been on the waragi train. A former VSO, Sarah, was in-country for a couple of weeks. It was her birthday on Friday so we went to Republika for a meal. We've had some incredibly impressive thunder and lightning lately, and the heavens opened. Towards the end of the evening it started to clear and we adjourned to a bar in Kisi. There were glitter balls, toilet paper confetti (don't ask) and... yes...War Gin.



Downpour






Republika was a bit of a blast from the past. I used to spend a lot of time there before, but this was the first time I'd been back. Still looks exactly the same, but the prices have gone north. Worth checking out if you're ever in Kigali, very relaxed place up in Kiyovu.

Only way to cope with a hangover like that is Lost Bread (French Toast) with Nutella. It's my default rescue remedy.




What else has been happening?

Went back to the Gift Hotel to help Joanna test the menu. That was lots of fun. They do a fabulous hot chocolate. Officially opening in about a week.




Engaged a professional Kinyarwanda teacher to try to improve my limited moto-haggling abilities. One of the first things I asked him to teach me was 'Do you know where [place] is?' - 'Are you sure?'

All too often you get on a moto only to discover they haven't got the blindest clue where you actually want to go. After each lesson I write up what I've learned in coloured pen (thanks Mum!) and pop it on the wall above my desk. I still really struggle to retain and recall vocabulary, but at least with directions I get to practise every day, so it's starting to come more quickly.

Went to Nakumatt and bought myself some children's books to practise reading.



Maguru and the Gorilla
The Battle Between Fire and Water.

Talking of books, I have one out myself later in the year. Hired a local photographer, Alice Kayibanda, to take some publicity shots. Hate having my picture taken, but she was really good with me. Didn't turn out too shabby. Got the results back this week.

Sure some other stuff happened, but it's a bit of a blur. Still courting potential clients. Going quite well. Off for lunch at an Italian in Nyarutarama this afternoon to talk web design with the head of Three Stones Consulting. Hopes of chocolate mousse.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!