Thursday 31 July 2014

Exasperating


First time in years I've ever regretted being single, because, right now, I am in desperate need of a shoulder rub.

As the sun begins to set on my lovely time at the hotel, my new landlord informs me that he hasn't actually moved out of my new house yet. He asked whether I could come on Sunday instead.

As much as I like it here, I'm not about to blow another $100 waiting for him to get his act together. The only reason we agreed 1st August on the contract was to give him a week to pack. I've told him I'm moving in at 4pm tomorrow. The rest is his problem.

Meanwhile, I went into town today, to the bank that only lets me withdraw FRW 200,000 at the ATM when I really needed 250,000 (that's an irritating anti-fraud measure imposed by the UK, not a problem with my Rwandan bank), then I went to Nakumatt to try to buy the one thing they don't sell (colouring pencils), then I went to the post office to... no, let's not even discuss what happened at the post office. 

Suffice to say, I made the mistake of walking back to the hotel, and was quite literally chased there by a man who wanted me to pay either a gas bill or school tuition. It was hard to tell whilst he was waving it in my face and railroading me into a three-foot drainage ditch.

People, it's just been one of those months.

I'm done.

Tomorrow is the start of a brand new month. 

Fingers crossed.

There have been some good things. I got my bank card and, more importantly, my Nakumatt loyalty card the other day. That's right, I'm a card carrying member of Kenya's finest (only?) supermarket chain.


Bank card with a baby gorilla.
Nakumatt card with an elephant.

Surprised the hotel staff the other night by flipping to the back of the menu (the non-muzungu section), and ordering ugali. I just wanted to see how it compared to my efforts. Opted for cassava, as that's the stuff I use at home, and maize is really stinky.

Anyway, the presentation was fabulous, and the ugali was much firmer than I make it, obviously they used less water or cooked it for longer, and they'd moulded it into this perfect ball. I am going to find out how they did that. There wasn't a lump in it. The meat sauce was really good too, but I think I prefer my bean stew.




Anyway, it has been nice here. I've eaten my own body weight in brochettes. Jo and Fidens were on my porch last night for drinks. Also made friends with a waiter who asked me if I was married, then asked me if I was a virgin. I asked him if he had any brothers and sisters, watched his face fall, then asked how old he was. Haven't made that mistake since induction training seven years ago. Felt like a prize prat.

Cannot wait to move into my own place. My own, quiet, place. I may never leave again, except to make money to stock it with beer and fresh fruit. 

I've got a good week lined up. Interviewing a couple more Associates for my business on Monday, visiting a Ministry on Tuesday, and hopefully delivering my first quote to my first billable client on Wednesday. It's only a small job, but it's a job. That's money coming in instead of going out. Which is an improvement.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!