Sunday 27 July 2014

Step Town


A post from a very happy bunny today.

It was my final night at the apartment last night, and boy did they go all out. It was like trying to sleep next to a party of those drunken hyenas from The Lion King: inane laughter and random screeching until 4:30am, then the music started up again at 6:40. I maybe got a grand total of two hours' sleep.

But I don't care, because it's over.

At 11am Jo's fabulous driver appeared like a knight in a shining white taxi to whisk me away to my house-to-be in Kanombe. I managed to get the right road, but the wrong gate. I was about to knock when my next-door-neighbour-to-be opened it and informed me it was the bigger, very grand gate next door.

Every time I see my new place, I'm impressed all over again.

We deposited my stuff with my new guard, Damascene, and then headed over to Step Town, that lovely hotel I went to with Fidens. I am now safely ensconced until 1st August, when I officially move in.

This place is wonderful - and quiet. I have a nice little en suite room with a veranda and internet access. There are two giant giraffes outside, which remind me of the stuffed toys Martine & RuairĂ­ gave me when I left Rwanda the first time. Even the tiles are patterned like giraffe skin.




The perfect place to sleep for the next five days. There's even a beautiful view of the city from where I'm sitting. 



I feel so relieved to be out of there, but it was a learning experience and if it hadn't happened I might never have found my new home. Looking forward to Skyping family, reading some books, watching some movies and sleeping. Most of all, sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!