Thursday 23 October 2014

Kitty Car


Just had word from Dad that my lovely car, Kitty, flew through her MOT this year. She's guarding the driveway at the moment whilst he's up to Scotland for my great uncle's funeral. 

Feeling pangs of nostalgia as the seasons change there but not here. Nice pictures of his garden.




Sprawled on the couch at the moment, suffering pangs of a different kind. Finally came down with my first stomach bug since being back. There's one type of stomach bug that everyone used to get from time to time. You know it instantly because it feels like you've swallowed glass - sharp grinding pains in your upper abdomen for a couple of days. Coming out the other side now but extremely tired. Keep falling asleep. Not the best timing as I have a friend arriving tomorrow from the UK.

It's his first time in Africa, so I've just got back from Simba with everything you could class as 'fairly African' or at least 'non-British': Amarula, tree tomatoes, marakuja/passion fruit, pineapple, Rwandan cheese, waragi and ugali... though the sauce is a problem as there's been a complete dearth of red kidney beans for about two months now. Can't get them anywhere. Having to substitute them for butter beans but even they're thin on the ground. Looks like Nutella and pesto have also gone from the shelves. Both expensive luxuries, but I like to have them if guests are coming. 

Damascene has just cleaned the house from top to bottom, and I still smile when I walk around it all nice and sparkly. Hopefully this is a nice welcome and somewhere to relax and get his bearing before heading up to the chaos of Kampala.

Despite being physically a little under the weather, I'm emotionally much better. I spent four days straight watching back-to-back British soaps. Hardly left my chair. On the fourth day I finally felt bored of the soaps, got ill, and felt back to normal. Not sure why, it's been a difficult week work-wise, but all of a sudden I feel perfectly able to cope again. Think I just needed to shut down for a while. 

The rains have properly arrived now. Big thunder storms, grey skies and continuous rain for hours on end. Only just made it to Simba today. Instead of sheltering in their car park, I tried their café this time. Much more comfortable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!