Friday 27 March 2020

Pastie Point of No Return


Almost one week in lockdown. Feels longer but really not suffering for it. Rather enjoying the peace and quiet without traffic or bars, although aware of the human cost of this. 

Decided to pass the time by attempting to bake. Set up a baking table in the back yard. At the same time I found the muffin tin, I also found a plastic pastie shaper, so thought I'd give that a go. It was a nice sunny day, and the equipment was easy to clean - just throw water over everything.

 

Started out by putting a bit too much filling in, but got the knack of it. Kidney beans and cabbage with ginger, garlic and soy sauce. 

 
 
 

Clockwise from the top you can see the improvement in my technique. All baked in the bucket, as always. Entertaining way to pass an afternoon. Also resurrected the crepe maker and have been eating a few of those.


I've decided that cabbage is the way to survive an apocalypse. They're huge, if you put them in the fridge they don't seem to go off, and you can slowly peel your way to the centre. I've been eating a lot of stir fries. Again, with tons of garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, honey and soy sauce, fried up in a bit of butter. Trying to ration the chocolates and biscuits since I can't go swimming anymore. In the evenings I tend to put on a playlist and throw myself around the room for a while. Usually whilst cooking. My friend set up a group where we just post songs that make us happy.

In other news, there was a bit of a stir on the internet yesterday when a news story broke that police had shot two people for breaking the C19 lockdown. The police quickly responded with the tweet below and the story has since been changed. Apparently the police were attacked. Though, coming from the UK, the sight of so many guns on the street does make me feel very uneasy, especially during times of heightened tension.




However, it does appear that one guy was eaten by a crocodile whilst breaking the rules. No mention of why the crocodile was out and about. Serves it right if the guy he ate had Covid-19.

These are indeed strange times.

I've come down with a cold, but just your standard head cold. No coughing or fever, just a bit bunged up. Things just plodding along. We're having an emergency Skype meeting next week at work to try to figure out what to do. We run a few elderly care homes, some health clinics, lots of workshops and youth camps. Most of our funding is to conduct community work, which we can't do much of at the moment. It doesn't affect me directly very much as I mostly deal with the paperwork, but when there's no activities, there isn't much paperwork either. 

Passing the time playing the piano, playing Call of Cthulhu, cuddling the cats and making endless cups of tea. Broke into my supply of UTC milk today. Everything is going to be just fine so long as I can make a nice cuppa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!