Saturday 21 March 2020

Full Lockdown



Well, that's interesting. I was having a chat on WhatsApp with a friend and saying that we still had some freedom of movement. Went out to get a beer. Came back to this. No freedom of movement at all.

Don't mind. Completely sensible. Was just a bit sudden. On full lockdown for two weeks.

I can't help feeling slightly fortunate. I did a little bit of shopping last week. Not masses, but I have some tinned and dried food to see me through. Enough for a couple of weeks. I also had my cleaner over today, which seems ridiculously fortunate as she won't be able to come now. So I'm sitting in a really nice, clean house. Good way to start a lock-in.

I help out a lady with her sewing business. She just paid off a loan for a sewing machine, so I made another loan and she gave me some nice pillow cases as a thank you. She's really lovely. My cleaner made the bed with the new pillow cases.


  

So, clean house and a freshly made bed.

I wasn't expecting this to happen, but I feel like I'm prepared for it. Really going to miss swimming, though. There was never anyone else at the pool first thing and it was so relaxing. Have to find another way to get the endorphins. Plenty of time to practise the piano, and Harris pointed out Gog has a sale on, so stocked up on games. Lots of old classics on there like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle. Got my Netflix subscription.
 
Though had a tough evening. The electricity went out for ages and my laptop died. Felt a bit apocalyptic sitting here in the dark, waiting for zombies to appear at the window.


Finally got electricity back but lost freedom of movement. Ahwell, can't have everything.

Let's hope these measures kick the virus and people stay safe. As one meme pointed out, the longer it takes people to comply with the rules, the longer we're going to have to stick to them.

Seems our Last Brunch was kind of prophetic. We were only joking about it at the time.

Before Rwanda had any cases, my friend was joking that it was good news for local consultants because Rwanda wouldn't be flying in any external ones. Essentially, we'd get all the work. Then we got a case and the party ended - yes, we'd get all the work, but there wasn't any work! Bitterly ironic. Christmas lasted a day.

You've got to laugh really, because there's been some awful stories coming out of places like Italy and parts of the US. I already know someone who lost a family member to it. Another friend's wife and child are stuck on another continent. Starts to drive it home when that happens. Fingers crossed Rwanda's quick reaction and consistent policies are going to pull us through with minimal damage.

Stay safe everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!