Monday 26 May 2014

Hello Kigali



Last flight compilation for a while: Nairobi to Kigali this afternoon.

I know it's not great quality, but the sky is so beautiful and I feel privileged to live in an age where I get to go up and photograph it like this. What would our ancestors have thought?

The second song is Maguru by Holy Jah Doves, a Rwandan band I used to mosh out to when I lived here five years ago. Kassim of Belgium fame was a founding member. You can also find a translation of the lyrics online. It's an adaptation of a folk tale.

My ride to Kigali.
Nairobi










Hello Rwanda!
A fond fairwell to Malaika (Angel) who came to see me off, and a big hug from Mary, who wouldn't let me put Malaika in the boot of Abdi's taxi (the guy who found me the horses) :(  


Garden Panoramic - (Click to Enlarge)

I am glad I can finally say I've seen Nairobi. Despite the security issues (getting out of the shower to the sound of automatic gunfire and getting patted down each time you want to go to the shops) it was surprisingly green, and very welcoming. Loved the drumming, the horses and the elephants, not so keen on the high price of living.

Ending with a song that has now become my anthem to East Africa. K introduced me to the music of Miriam Makeba, and I've had this one on repeat ever since. Welcome home to the continent of dance. Guma guma!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!