Monday 8 July 2013

Hollowell 2013



Wicked weekend at Hollowell Steam Rally. Seems to get bigger each year.

Went down the field with my brother and his mates. After the show ground closes, the beer tents and some of the rides stay open for locals and exhibitors. It was a weird coming-of-age realisation when I was in the car with my (much younger) brother driving me down the pub! 

Complete change from last year, when we were up to our ankles in mud. This year we're in the middle of a scorching heat wave!

Had an awesome night with friends. Far too much alcohol consumed. Our local brewer, Nobby, supplies the tents and this year there were some lethal elderflower and ginger ciders.

It's great after hours. Our friend brought her daughter down and she had a whale of a time because there aren't any queues for anything. She wanted to ride the one that goes up in the air and spins around. The boys, who had just come from the beer tent, took it in turns, looking paler and paler each time. Meanwhile, we tried to judge a safe viewing distance below, in case the worst should happen.

Also had a go at the strong arm thing where you have to ring the bell. I could barely lift the mallet! You should win a prize just for that. Nothing funnier than watching drunk blokes try to impress with their mallet-thumping prowess. Ah, if only there were pictures!

I managed to get my annual fix of the lady on the black horse. I always miss the announcement, so I have no idea who she is, but I'm a sucker for a top hat... and, obviously, a horse. Horses in top hats! That's what's missing. She oozes equine chic. I'm not the only one to think so - she's caught the eye of others on YouTube. I doubt even if I were wearing spats and tails I could make Simon look that stylish. Though it might add an extra dimension of surrealism whilst he's decking James May.

It was also a day for school reunions. Bumped into a couple of people I hadn't seen in (apparently) thirteen years. Someone recognising me is sort of in league with being IDed for alcohol, in that I suppose it's a compliment that I haven't changed that much. Although, the next questions is always 'oh crap, what did I do that was so memorable?'

One such encounter occurred at kebab o'clock (that point in the night where you're completely baked and stuffing down a cheap burger to soak up enough alcohol to keep going). A very tall, dashing gentleman materialised beside me, said hello, then gave me a kiss on the cheek before disappearing back into the crowd, leaving me wondering exactly what had been in that cider?

I spent the next morning trawling through school photographs with a big frown on my face, before contacting my best mate from back then - only to find out she became a mother two days ago!

I mean, seriously. Where on earth does the time go? 

A strange and mysterious night.
 
Very privileged to have such a fun festival on our doorstep. Was lovely to see everyone, as I don't see my brother that often. His mate, Richard, is a talented guitar maker. He brought down a ukulele made from white wood. It practically shimmered. The sort of instrument a unicorn might play whilst floating on a cloud above a rainbow. Mythological. Check him out at M&R Guitars.

I'm hoping he can also make the cars to go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!