Saturday 24 August 2019

The Returnee

L-R: Nadine, me, Maia, Ian, Lan and Cindy

Ooh, it's been a fun week. Met up with my cousin Conner, who was in town working for the Body Shop. Just a flying visit before Kenya. Like my cousin Tamsin, I'd only known Connor in passing, from my family's hugely extended annual gathering. So, it was really nice to get to know him properly. He's a cool guy, and we had a lot of laughs. 

The day before, my friend Maia's partner, Ian, arrived from the UK. He'd arrived a couple of days ahead of Maia, so I took him and Connor to PiliPili, which was packed, then back to Conner's hotel, Mille Collines, for a last drink. It was a really nice night, and a great way to meet everybody.

Me and my cousin, Conner
 

Also received a shoe shipment from my dad and Marilyn. Much appreciated, as shoes are something I get through here and are quite difficult and expensive to find in a style you like. This should keep me going for a while.


Been doing some more editing. There's a Lebanese café right next door to my house, and they do the most amazing lemonade. Perfect for a warm afternoon.

  

Since the restaurant in Gisenyi, I've started stocking jaggery in the house, but realised that's a bad idea as I can't stop eating it. Terribly sweet-toothed. It's supposedly got a whole load of health properties, but at the end of the day, it's still sugar. 
 
 

Any health benefits it might have bestowed were undone last night. Maia has returned to Rwanda and we welcomed her back in style. Got the girls together and went out on the town. First to our friend's bar, 514, then to her nightclub, Envy. There was a lot of gin involved.


We started out with the posh stuff, but soon descended into coconut waragi.

Completely randomly, bumped into my friend Isaac, who I hadn't seen in a couple of years. Actually, living in Kigali, these random coincidences happen quite regularly - it's a village. But it was so good to see him. He came with us to Envy. 




Got to envy about two, left around four. They still have the man sculpture, but this time also an incredibly cool dance floor which lights up when you step on it. I've included at the end of the highlights.

The other highlight was Ian getting up on stage and playing the guitar like a fuckin' pro. He's a musician, but to have the confidence just to step on stage and join in is very impressive. 



Man Sculpture

I vaguely remember some form of tequila cocktail and some cheesy potatoes in the wee hours, but it's safe to say that I was suffering this morning. Crawled to the kitchen and made a big cheesy omelette.



Haven't started on the cat food yet.


It's just gone 5 p.m. and I'm starting to feel okay. Which is good. Due to Ian's stunning performance last night, he was invited to play Marriott Hotel tonight with the band, so probably head over there later to continue what I suspect is likely to be a week-long boozer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!