Monday 8 April 2013

Green Falls and Silver Mines

Flowers from Martine's daughter in Australia
Well, it's been a hard-working but wonderful week in Edinburgh, spending time with Martine before her wedding.

As I left, she hugged me and said 'nine more sleeps' - which is how long until I'm back for the last goodbye, to act as witness and wave them off on their new life in Dublin.

Arrived back in Alva feeling a bit knackered and flumped, with the news that my Aunty Heron has taken a nasty tumble and is in hospital. Walked in to find Paul feeling just as flumped, with the news that he needs to find a new place to live.

Never good to have two stressed people in a room together. To avoid decking each other, I suggested we go for a walk.

There's nothing like climbing a hill to help you forget what you were worried about...


Found this in the local churchyard. Sign reads:

Saint Serf's Well

This ancient Standing Stane, the hinmaist ane o a Chromlech that stude lang syne no Far Frae here, hes been bracht hame efter mony a day, an staans noo Guaird owre the Well o Sanc Serf.

It was til this spring, whase clear watters still rin, that i the Fifth Century the Guid Sanc Serf o Culross cam whileoms tae baptise his Folk o the Clach an kent than as Ailbhinn or Aiblins` Ailbheach; an Frae this hallow'd place yon Guid man maun aft hae lookit up an his cry ~ nam beann ~ I will lift mine eyes unto the hills ~ may yet be heard doon owre the lang years by aa that ettle to harken. - J. N. J 1061

Now, my Scotts is shocking, so the rough translation I give below is probably quite wrong. Please do correct me:

This ancient standing stone, the backpost on a Chromlech that stood long since not far from here, has been brough here after many days, and stands now guarding over the Well of Saint Serf.

It was to this spring, whose clear waters still run, that in the fifth century the good Saint Serf of Culross came to baptise his people of the stone and came to be known as Ailbhinn, or Aiblins Ailbheach [Aiblins of Alva]; and from this hallowed place that good man moaned after he looked up at the sky ~ to the peak ~ I will lift my eyes to the hills ~ and may yet be heard down over the long years by any that care to listen. - J.N.J 1061

Little uncertain about Aiblins, which seems to mean 'perhaps' or 'maybe'. 'Maybe of Alva' doesn't seem quite right, somehow.

We wandered up the glen, following the water...





 

I love streams. I also loved this slightly weird old log. Almost looked like it was twisting to say something. 

That's when things started to get a bit weird. I stopped to take a picture of this, and became convinced Paul was throwing things at me. We'd taken a bag of peanut crackers and I swear one went whizzing past my ear. I looked over a couple of times, and shouted 'stop throwing things at me!' To which he replied that he wasn't.

Hmm.

 

Just over the stream was an abandoned silver mine. See the little cave?



Very strange feeling crawling inside. Peering into the dark, I became convinced that Paul was immediately behind me. Turning - he was nowhere to be seen.



Perhaps the notice by the door might explain it:

Disused Mine Workings
These old mines have naturally high levels of radioactive radon gas and contain dangerous vertical shafts.

Does make you feel a bit trippy, like Clearwell Caves.

Also plays havoc with your camera...



That last one is a picture of a second silver mine a few feet upstream. See the gate sign straight ahead?


One more shot of a stream, sorry. Stopped for a drink here. Beautiful.


That marked the boundary of the woods. We pressed upwards and onwards across exposed ground. Love the way the hills disappear into the clouds.


It was snowing everso slightly the higher we went. I took a picture of Paul making a snow angel at one point, but my camera ate it.




Panoramic view (click to enlarge)


We climbed up and then dropped down a steep valley towards the Green Fall, where I took that video last time.

Paul disappearing down the valley like a mountain goat!
Wait for me!

The Green Fall

We made it back just as it got dark, swinging past the pub for a couple of pints and a bag of chips.

 

I was feeling fine until we got home, at which point I almost passed out from tiredness!

Bought myself a roll mat for sleeping on the floor. Too many soft sofas recently, decided to try and toughen up a little as it would be dead useful to be able to sleep anywhere. It was hard to get to sleep, though. After clawing my way up earth embankments, clinging to shaggy hillsides like a giant Shetland pony, and taking a running jump at fording streams, every inch of my body ached. How completely unfit can I become in a week!? So ashamed.

Good walk, though. We both felt a thousand times better when we got back. Today's been really productive. Taking Kitty back to that lovely mechanic tomorrow - noticed she's got a lump on her tyre. Think she's going to need a new one. Think I might have to pay something this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!