Sunday 22 June 2014

Pizza Party


After last weekend's hangover, I swore off alcohol for the week. Mission very happily accomplished. So, what's on my mind this weekend?

Ahem.

May 2009
Me, Pierre, Giudi & Joanna

Five years ago, my friends Jo & Pierre used to throw pizza parties at their house in Gikondo, having built a custom-made pizza oven for the purpose. The only thing they hadn't bought was a bottle opener.

August 2009
Anja & Pierre opening wine Kigali style.

But half a decade has passed, and Jo and Pierre are parents now. Surely if they were to hold another pizza party it would be a subdued, sophisticated affair... right?

Wandering Around Gikondo.


You can see why they need the 4x4. 



Jo and Pierre's house has changed a little. There's a spanking new driveway, a nice new roof, hedgerows, and a lovely covered area to keep the pizza oven dry.



View from the house.
All you need for a party.
Hmm... is something going on?
Some sort of sporting event, perhaps?



The pizza oven is truly spectacular, complete with sink and preparation area. Eat your heart out SoleLuna! Even Vie Veneto doesn't have views this good.






Stoking the fire.

Avid readers might remember that once upon a time I adopted three kittens from Jo. Her cat Mweru was the mummy. Unfortunately they are long gone, but Jo & Pierre have taken in another cat, who is strangely similar to Mweru's brother Kabibi. This one doesn't have a name yet, simply Cat (injangwe). The reason he reminds me of Kabibi is that he's totally brazen, nose in everything.

Cat!
Hmmm.... pizza, you say?
I'm having that.
Because I'm puuurrrrfect.

Somebody even cuter than the cat is li'le Zuba herself.


Zuba: Do you like beer?
Me: Yes, I do.
Zuba: I like milk.

Indeed, so it would appear...



Amata Addict

The nice thing about having a pizza oven is that you get to make your own pizza. My friends Amina and Asna came with Amina's kids Danielle and David, and an American development student who is staying with her, called Jerusalem. We were joined by Jo & Pierre's friends Fidens, Frederic and Alice, and Michael. Plenty of pizza for all!


Sundried tomato, pineapple, basil, ham, mushrooms,
red pepper, olives, and Kenyan 'pizza cheese'.



Let the mayhem begin! And, errr... please could I swap my marakuja juice for a bottle of Mutzig, ekonje?



First you roll it like this...

...then you roll it like that.

Stretch it out.

And stoke up the fire.



It's quite artistic making your own pizza. I went for ham, cheese, basil, mushrooms and olives.


Before

During

After

It was totally scrummy! Stuffed my face with pizza, and cake for afters, then the Mutzig slowly mutated into a bottle of fabulous red wine as day turned to night. We also had a jamming session with Zuba's box of musical instruments. I don't think the neighbours are talking to us anymore, but it was a lot of fun.


Music Provided by Rav4
The Rav4 Boogie

So, who you gonna support now England's out?

Kigali by Night

We started at around 2pm, and by 10:30 we were all a little peckish again. Cue home-delivery Indian from Zaaffran. Feeding frenzy mark two. Commence long, intriguing conversation with Fidens about Humanism and evolution. Fascinating guy who has cycled around Asia.  




Plus, I got a stem of Queen of the Night to take home with me. It's a form of Night Blooming Jasmine, and it's intoxicating. You catch wafts of it around Rwanda at nighttime. It is truly enchanting and apparently it grows really easily from a cutting.




We eventually headed for home around midnight. I hopped a moto with Fidens and they raced each other through the empty streets. I closed my eyes and giggled like a lunatic. I don't think I will ever grow sick of night rides through Kigali.

One week without alcohol was a pleasure. Making up for that week without alcohol was also a pleasure. I supped my share of beer and wine, and perhaps partook of an Intore or two. Woke up marginally the worse for wear this morning, though nowhere near as in pain as I was last weekend. This was a respectable hangover.

So, what will I be doing next weekend, I wonder....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!