Tuesday 8 June 2021

Nyiragongo Erupts


 
Late intermittent update, as usual. 

Things here have mostly been dominated by the Nyiragongo eruption, which has thankfully calmed down now. All of the lava in the crater has apparently disappeared, which is disturbing. We had a few days of continuous earthquakes in Kigali, but back to normal now.



Humanitarian operations are underway. 

Otherwise, it's been a quiet month here. I've been focusing on writing - managed to win the Bet Tuppi's Near Eastern Historical Fiction Prize and did some musing about the origins of Rwandan imigongo art, which has kind of captivated me during my current WIP (work in progress).

There's been cat cuddles.




Though they are still as murdery as ever. Managed to rescue this from them the other day.






I was bitten by a palm tree whilst putting out my washing. No one told me they have teeth! Caught my finger on them - blood everywhere! Sharp little critters.




Spent a couple of days writing and bookcrossing at my friend's restaurant. And far too much time getting to grips with YouTube.






My lovely friend Jo made some homemade pesto. It was such a treat. I adore pesto, but it sells for around £8 a jar here (even with the £1.20 label still on it) so I never buy it. 




Also found a great new veg supplier, Samy's, who do boxes of fresh vegetables and delivery for a really good price. He's still working on his website, but you can WhatsApp: 0785 643 938.




Finished off with this, which doesn't look amazing, but tastes fantastic. Used up my stale bread making bread pudding, then slathered it in caramel.




And treated myself to this impressive pizza from Sole Luna.




Went back out to Bugesera Lodge to tune their piano. Got another tuning tomorrow. Made some piano parts with a 3D printer.





And just hanging out at home with my temperamental fairy lights which sometimes come on and sometimes don't. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!