Tuesday 25 February 2020

Flowers and Teddy Bears


Well, I've entered the final year of my thirties. Turned 39 on 20th February.

Spent it very quietly but very happily. Took the day off work and started down the local pool, which I had all to myself. It was bliss. Then went to Kigali Heights for a glass of pink prosecco and a red-velvet cupcake, which I was craving. 

 
Followed it up with goat cheese and truffle pizza and a double scoop of almond and peanut & chocolate ice-cream. Then retired to bed for a nap and an evening of Ghibli movies.

 

Didn't go out because I had to be up at 6 a.m. to get ready for work the next morning, but it was just perfect. Had a lovely chat with my mum.

Just after dark, I received a knock on my gate. Opened it to find the most amazing thing in the world. Harris and Roberto are miles away in Luxembourg, but managed to fill my house with flowers and whiskey (picture up top). Couldn't believe it. Huge fluffy teddy. I was honestly a bit tearful as I poured myself a dram. To have such amazing people in my life.

Got up super early and went to work Friday. Was finished by 8 a.m. so swung back past Kigali Heights for pancakes and a much-needed caffeine injection.


Then went to another meeting, which blew my mind. One of the genocide survivor organisations I work for was turning 25 at the weekend. Our head of administration had been teaching beadwork to some of the widows and I was able to watch them making jewellery for the event.


      

The skill required is incredible. It takes a whole day to make one bracelet. What made me mad was that there was a company making bracelets this way in Rwanda before. They sold them to celebrities in America for a fortune, but for a piece that cost $600, the women who made it only received around $30. It was a well-known brand and my jaw hit the floor when I heard that. Seems so unjust.

I went out to meet a friend at a bar in town on Friday night. I got there a bit early, but, Kigali being the village that it is, I wasn't alone for long. I went to the bar to order a drink, sat down on the stool, looked to my left and realised I was sitting next to a good friend. Random. Then my other friend arrived, and a little while later, this guy walks in who I hadn't seen in about a year.

Kigali works this way, constantly. You could go out on your own any night of the week and be guaranteed to bump into someone and have a good time.

Pretty Bar Decor
Ended up at a nigh club. It was fun, but bumped into a Spanish guy I knew. As I was passing him, he put his hand between my legs and then groped me. I'm still angry when I think about my reaction. I did the typical female thing of politely brushing him off and going on my way, when what I should have done was offer to break his bloody fingers. It still makes me mad when I think about it. Just the entitlement. One for #everydaysexism.

The weather is still a bit mental. The storms are still coming. One swept through the other day and flooded my hallway.


Hoping it blows over soon, and it's nothing compared to the pictures coming out of the UK.

Found a cute bug seeking shelter.



I've been eating a lot of stir fry recently. Couscous doused in soy sauce, then thinly sliced carrots and marrow with fresh ginger and garlic. Good comfort food for the cold weather.


Had a great night Saturday. I went to a friend's leaving do and there was an excellent band playing a lot of modern songs. 

 

One of the people attending my friend's leaving do was an absolute honour to meet. He was a Canadian Peacekeeper in 1994, serving under Roméo Dallaire. He returned to the country for the first time since then in 2018. 


This was him in '94 at an orphanage. He recently found the boy second to the right again, who is now the founder of a local NGO for single mothers. It's a really incredible story, and an absolute privilege to sit and talk with him. It took a lot for him to come back as he still suffers from PTSD, but seeing how far the country has come has really helped. He is a seriously interesting and compassionate person and I hope we get to talk again before he goes.

On a random note, bought a nice red tie from the restaurant. Valentine's reminded me how much I like a nice tie.



Sunday was the 25th anniversary celebrations of an organisation I work for. They represent widows of the genocide and their families. It was a really big event and I got to see the First Lady, Jeannette Kagame, who is a staunch supporter of the organisation.

 

President of AVEGA, Valerie Mukabayire

There was a very good traditional choir there and the music was extremely moving.


Very humbled to be working with these organisations. Lots of interesting projects going on. Spent today visiting insurance companies to try to get one of our health clinics ensured so that we can start providing medical services to survivors and the general public. Feels good to get up in the morning and do something that matters to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!