Sunday 28 August 2016

Timber


Oops!

We had a dramatic tree rescue in my garden the other day.

Termites attacked the mighty healing papaya



It still has a main root so my lovely landlord pegged it upright with metal poles and it's been doing well ever since. Coated the trunk in engine oil, which apparently staves them off. See if it survives the wet season winds. At least the new washing line is sturdy.

In other good news - I found my cleaning lady! She hadn't disappeared. Turns out it was a problem with my phone. She never got the messages. Managed to call her. She was wondering what had happened to me. We have been happily reunited.

In more good news - the kitten returned. It shows up occasionally to pilfer milk. I put out some Go Cat. It took one sniff, turned up its nose as if to say 'What is this shit?' and walked off. Came back though and has forgiven me.

 In other, other news...

My beautiful house:

And my beautiful house after a boy has been in it:

Had a nice afternoon watching movies, swapping books and giggling like lunatics.

He was extremely hungover after seeing a college friend off on the bus to Kampala at stupid o'clock this morning. I was shattered, due to my neighbour waking me at 6:30 with this crap. It's a preacher on the radio, but it reminds me of the exorcism of Anneliese Michel. Who the hell would voluntarily listen to that on a Sunday morning - or any morning? If it happens again, I'm setting up speakers by the wall and blasting out Rage Against the Machine until they back down.

We lay there, dying quietly together.

Can't believe it's a year ago today that I was flying over Entebbe en route to the UK for the first time in a year and a half, recovering from malaria. Feels like it was yesterday. How fast the time flies. 

My visa is up for renewal at the end of the year. I'm desperately hoping it gets renewed so that I can spend another couple of years in this wonderful country. My landlord has offered to find me a general to marry if it all goes wrong. I told him I didn't think I would make the general very happy, and he laughed a little too hard at that!

Hopefully it will all be okay.

Until then, much fun to be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!