Sunday 26 April 2015

Bouncy Lunacy


Got to spend time with my favourite girl on Friday. Jo was in Buj and Daddy in Musanze, so I did the school run. We went to her bestest hangout for trampolining madness and plenty of swinging. I've got arms like Popeye now. I was quite grateful when another family turned up and she went to bounce with their kids. We also discovered a cupboard inside the restaurant which was crammed full of children's books! So, all bounced out, we settled down with Lady and the Tramp (same book I had as a kid!), A Dinosaur Called Tiny, a guessing game on Halloween, and a story about the nativity. Nothing if not diverse reading tastes. 

Then it was off to the airport to pick up Mummy. Sounds like she got out just in time. Eve of the announcement that Pierre Nkurunziza is defying parliament to stand for a third term. Violence expected. Every aid worker with children was apparently piling them into cars and driving for the border, with Rwanda being the obvious, safe, choice for hiding out. 

We headed to Ogopogo for pizza. They do the best pizza in town at the moment, and the whole place is lit up like a fairy castle. So pretty.




Town From Ogopogo


Couldn't finish all of my Africana (pizza with plantain! Nommy), so they made me a stylish accessory to take home. Love pizza for breakfast.

I do enjoy having a daughter for a day, but I suspect Jo's secretly trying to convince me it's time to make babies of my own. If ever there was a convincer, it would be madam, here. But I still don't see it happening. 

Been busy getting the spare room ready as Christiane arrives tonight for a couple of days. In town checking out supplies for her ecolodge. 



I've given the room with the en suite over to guests and camped out in the slightly smaller bedroom by the back garden. A little less street noise, and I've discovered that I prefer smaller bedrooms to larger, and rooms with just the one door. Feng shui or something silly, I'm sure.




Finally got some cow poo pictures up on my walls. Makes the place look homely - and slightly psychedelic.  




I learned in Congo that the fertility statues everyone sells here as 'Rwandan', are actually from a tribe in Bukavu, DRC. It sounded like the Rhaegar ( as in Targaryen) tribe.




Well, dawn is peeping through my curtains. Time to get back to work (on a Sunday, yes). So much to do ahead of the two human rights delegations I'm managing in a couple of months. Busy booking accomodation, figuring out the schedule and delegating tasks to our partner organisation. Looking forward to seeing Blighty again. Seems bad to wish away a year, but I am feeling the burn at the moment. Finally stopped sneezing (almost), but now developed a strange rash beneath my ribcage. What new exotic madness is this!?




I swear, I have been suffering ever since I moved into this house. It's a shame, it's well located and starting to feel homely. Really can't face the thought of another move, but it's like I've had a permanent cold since arriving. Years without asthma and now I can't get through the night without Salbutamol. Cleared up immediately in Congo. Real energy drainer. 


Dawn, Peeping Through the Curtains

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!