Wednesday 23 May 2012

Day at the Races

Cheltenham Racecourse

Wonderful day down Cheltenham Racecourse catching up with Create Goucestershire, Theatre Gloucestershire and some other familiar faces. All down there awaiting the Olympic Torch. 20,000 people!

The weather's gone crazy!

It is SO completely summer all of a sudden.

Rolled up my jeans. My legs haven't seen sunshine since 1987. Even toyed with a dress - but that was a step too far. Once a year, when forced. Rarer than the annular eclipse.

It was such a nice day. Went with my new volunteers, Siobhan and Marten - they're just the best. After schmoozing, we adjourned to the grassy knoll with free ice-cold coke. Starships has got to be my song of the summer so far. Seems to play everywhere. Just the best song when you're driving along in 28c with the windows down.

It was my first time at the racecourse. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Cheltenham is hideously affluent. Beautiful dresses, beautiful cars - both in obvious excess. Stunning backdrop of the hills.



  

Didn't stay to watch the torch arrive. Zara Philips rode it in on Toytown, but I'd fulfilled my quota of sun for the afternoon. I have to admit, I'm not really that fussed about the Olympics. I quite like the equestrian rounds, but that's about it. However, the torch relay idea is rather a good one. Reminds me of the pagan Bel-fires across the hilltops. Sucker for a bit of symbolism. Certainly seems to have brought people together. Thousands of people lining the routes, bunting everywhere, more turning up to the evening events. Real sense of 'spirit'.

Olympic build-up this week, Diamond Jubilee next week... my concerns are far more immediate. Friday is opening night at the theatre, and I'm fluctuating between excitement and sheer terror. Thankfully got a good team. Wondering whether Front of House might outnumber the audience, but we were on BBC Gloucestershire this morning for a full fifteen minutes - brilliant interview with the cast. Let's see how things go. 

Got another volunteer, Rob, who's going to start a video diary of our struggle to get off the ground.

All that sun's made me sleepy. I'm going to go and lounge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!