Sunday 11 January 2015

Day Tripper

Little Birds on my Porch


I had fun today. Went to a conference to see what that group of HR activists got up to after I'd finished talking Disability Rights with them. Fabulous day and great networking opportunity. I was really touched to see a display of the work I'd done with them up on the wall, and some brilliant responses written up.



I was surprised to learn how many deaf people are happy and don't consider themselves as worse off at all. "Disability" is a label used by society but a lot of people who are called disabled prefer to decide for themselves.


I learned about the disability policy in Rwanda and it complimented our focus on Human Rights.
I was surprised that Rwanda has its own sign language.


After the presentation I realized I would do the catagotizing activity differently.

How cool is that? It's so rewarding to get people thinking, and even more rewarding to find out that you've had a possitive impact.

Towards the end of the day there was a presentation on sexual minorities and HIV prevention. When it came to Q&A's this incredible woman stood up and took the speaker to task over the national focus on gay men, with no mention of the wider LGBT community.

Certainly got my attention.

We had a really interesting conversation over nibbles afterwards, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to meeting up for a drink in a couple of weeks to continue that discussion. Going to have a read through a strategic plan she sent me and see if I can offer any useful input. 

Very much admire her way of thinking.

Got a full week ahead. Couple of meetings, hopefully leading towards work, which I'm in desperate need of at the moment. That and water - almost at the bottom of my water butts, despite the rain. 

Little worrying as I have a couchsurfer arriving mid-week. He's a photographer going round the world comparing poverty and economic development by photographing the rooms of 18-30 year olds (article/video). Sounds like a fascinating project. He's arriving from Nairobi, and I can't wait to hear about the other countries he's visited.

Getting into practise. Just had a beer, which I haven't dared do since my tummy bug. Seems to be back to normal now, but going to cut back as it's done wonders for my waistline. Also cutting back on cigs. Didn't smoke yesterday. Realised it's more out of habbit than because I actually enjoy it anymore. 

Busy practising planking at the moment - just coz.


I mean, what else do you rent a big house for if not to plank when you feel like it?

Life is good but quiet at the moment. I've become highly antisocial lately. Perhaps having a house guest will draw me out of myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!