Thursday 8 January 2015

Pottering Along


Yay. Finally got my ID card. I officially exist. Had to have my photo taken, provide my signature and my fingerprints. 

There's been a few attempts to introduce ID cards in the UK but all have met with mass public disapproval over privacy and ID theft. I do worry a bit here about identity theft and online security after asking the Bank of Kigali "What happens if my online account is hacked?" Their response: "Have you given anyone your log-in details?" - "No." - "Then it is impossible for your account to be hacked."

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. 

Anyway, I do think an ID card can be useful at times. I have a friend in the UK who doesn't drive and hasn't got a passport. He has trouble sometimes proving his identity, and an ID card would help with that. And, let's face it, if someone's going to steal your identity, they can already do it with any number of documents you already have.

Still, I'm not that fussed either way. If it makes my life easier and gets me discounts to see the gorillas, I'm okay with that. Equally, I also have a driving license photo card and a passport, so one more proof of identity seems a little excessive. Especially one involving fingerprints.

In other news, for Christmas, Santa seems to have brought me the present of alcohol intolerance!

Went for dinner with my friend last night (very nommy, at Zen).



"Have you lost weight?" she asked.

"Yes, I was throwing up quite a bit."

I'm fine now, I hasten to add. Or, I thought I was. It's a common bug, lots of people had it over Christmas. You feel absolutely fine, eat fine, no problem. Then you wake up randomly in the middle of the night to be sick.

I hadn't had a drink since a couple of days after Christmas, when I was last sick. So I treated myself to a glass of red wine. I wasn't sick, but my stomach hated me for it. So, looks like alcohol is off the menu for a few more weeks. Probably another reason I've lost weight.

In lieu of alcohol I have become a committed smoker, which is something I need to address. Stocked up on boiled sweets and chewing gum. Spending a lot of time writing at the moment. Cracking on with a new novel and busy typing guest posts for blog promotions ahead of my next release in February. Writers are notoriously unhealthy creatures: coffee, nicotine and alcohol, little exercise. I will sort that out eventually.

Finding it hard to get back into the swing of work after the holidays.

Delivered a talk to a group of young human rights activists last week on Disability & Human Rights. That was good fun. Started off in Sign Language. When it became clear no one understood a word, I posed the question on PowerPoint 'Is anyone in this room disabled?' After much shaking of heads there was a laugh of relief when I loudly exclaimed 'Well, that's a good start!' Nice re-introduction to the world of training and workshops.







Had a lovely time with Zubadoo on Tuesday. Minor emergency as her mummy had to go to a meeting out of town and was delayed. No other mummies available, so Aunty Me did the school pick-up. We went for ice-cream at the MTN centre and Santa delivered a couple of books which we sat and read. The Shark in the Dark is now a firm favourite. Came back to mine and set up the projector for a Beauty and the Beast marathon. It was a lovely day, and nice to spend some time with little one, who insists she isn't that little - she's 'a little bit big'.  

Not much else to report at the moment. 

Pottering along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!