Thursday 11 September 2014

Demon Kettle


Decided to splash out on a kettle the other day.

Plugged it in.

Turned it on.

Blew up two extension leads.

Anyone want a kettle?

Flash, bang, smoke and everything. Apparently it's a common problem and I should plug it directly into the wall instead. I think I might just carry on boiling water on the hob.

In other news, my fabulous housekeeper has sorted out my vegetable plot. We bought a hoe and he's completely transformed it.





I'm particularly excited about the courgettes. But it all hinges on whether we have enough water. I saw him watering the mounds with a watering can today. If it rains we'll be fine. If not, it might get a bit difficult. We're technically in the rainy season at the moment. There's been a few downpours, but not as much as I'd expected. 

Damascene is a total superstar. We don't share a common language, but I managed to convey the bedding issue and he went out and returned with sheets that fit perfectly!


I've just finished preparing the spare room for my colleague who is travelling down from Uganda on Saturday. Sometimes I have to pinch myself that I actually live here. I've been working like a happy lunatic the past couple of weeks, but when I come home to this place it's just incredible. 

Spare Room

Talking of work, I had a lovely treat yesterday. There was some confusion over meeting times so I was in the office a bit earlier than I needed to be. A totally lovely colleague went and bought me lunch. I can now proudly say that I have had my first smoothie in Rwanda! It was yummy. Fast food here is really starting to take off. 


Next week is going to be madness. Busiest, and last, full week of my current contract. Very much looking forward to the cavalry arriving from Kampala. Loving every minute of it, and I've managed to employ three other people through this, which is a complete first for me and it feels rather awesome. I get four days' rest, then another intake. Offered my spare room to someone who's arriving for a few months and needs somewhere calm to rest whilst they look for a house. I also need to organise a house warming party at some point.

Rwanda, you are spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!