Friday 28 June 2013

Fire and Rain


Alright chaps?

Boom, boom, ching.

Weekly catch-up.

It's not just my luck pants that have a hole. Looks like I need some new boots, too. Bit miffed about that, but they've served me well. Picked these up a few years ago at Matalan for about a tenner. Riding boots went through a fashionable phase but the cheap knock-offs in the shops were actually perfectly fit for purpose. They've lasted a long time.



That's almost as big as the hole in my pants, which I was also wearing. I was right. The luck leaked out. I met Clint today, who is by far the most forward-going mount I've had there. He's about 20, an old man by horsey standards, but twice as energetic as Andy and Lump put together.

Halfway up the hill we had a little 'altercation'. He spooked at a swarm of flies and decided to do a tap dance. I'm embarrassed to report that I shrieking like a girly girl, but proud to say that I recovered quickly, stayed in the saddle and regained control. Luck very nearly wasn't the only thing leaking out of my lucky pants.

That wasn't the end of the adventure. We ended up going down a trail that starts by passing a clearing someone uses for fly tipping. We've been there a few times, and it's a bit creepy. Today, some guys had turned up and were burning the rubbish on a massive, petrol-induced bonfire. The flames were almost as high as the trees.

The horses weren't too certain about going past. You could feel the heat from it. Then, just as we are passing, something on the fire exploded with a massive bang.

Yeah. That was fun.

Gives you so much respect for police horses that go through riot training.

Finally... it bucketed down.

All in all, an eventful ride. 

Got back and someone had nicked my parking space, so had to walk a block in the downpour. Couldn't have been more drenched. Would have traded my jodhpurs for a wetsuit. I soaked it off in the tub, then settled down in front of the telly with beer and a bag of Kettle Chips, just in time for Djokovic.

Hasn't it been an incredible Wimbledon so far? Di and I talked about it most of the ride. Wednesday saw the most player withdrawals of any of the four majors, ever. Nadal's gone, Federer, Hewitt, Sharapova, and Tsonga! Truly bizarre. They played the theme tune to Casualty during the daily round-up. Even Darcis is out, the guy who beat Nadal. That's always slightly annoying when someone comes out of nowhere, takes out a top seed, then disappears again. It's incredible to watch them do it, but then you're denied the fun of watching the big names later on in the tournament.

Still, Murray's in, and Laura Robsen. Plus, really liking Dustin Brown's style.

Probably going to be a Djokovic/Murray final, but so far things have been a bit unconventional, so anything could happen.

I'm all stocked up. Have beer, chocolate, crisps and sandwiches. Plus this awesome double chocolate spread stuff, and a good book to unwind with after the excitement.


No riding for a couple of weeks as I have an AGM next week, then off to Hollowell Steam Rally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!