Monday 13 June 2016

Food and Friends


Right, let's haul this blog up to the present day. Sorry - it's exhausting typing everything one-handed.

I have recently fallen in love with a little Korean restaurant behind RDB called Monmartse. I first went there after the three-hour skin stripping ordeal and cried into a large plate of noodles. For some reason my reaction to pain is 1) fall asleep 2) eat. I'm not sure if that's normal, but I either get incredibly drowsy or incredibly hungry. 

Anyway, the food made me feel so much better. It's such a secluded spot, perfect for reading a book. They also bring you free water. Last time the staff took pity on me and brought a free coffee too, and a mint. So much fun to eat there. Every main dish comes with a dozen side dishes, some sweet, some spicy. It's my new happy place.

Due to my injury, gorilla trekking was out of the question, but wonderful Senga came to the rescue and he and Paul sent me pictures along the way. They had a great time but ended up walking about four hours through thick mud. There's no way I would have managed it.





Rwanda Development Board (RDB) have been really great about it. They've let me reschedule my permit any time this year, so I'm planning to go with Jo at some point.

Had some good meals out. Went to Bamboo, which has a fabulous view of Kigali, and had our final meal at Khazana, which is the best Indian in town. Paul ordered a cheese and mushroom starter that was absolutely divine.

View from Bamboo



He flew out on 3rd June, leaving a massive stash of chocolate which has already gone. Truly enjoyed having him to stay, and the arm accident didn't impact too much on things.

My house helper Shania had to come and help make my bed. She did this to it, which is amazing. The ancient art of bedigami.


Things are progressing really well with the hand. It's been three weeks now. I was hoping the bandages would be off, but not yet. Nurse Moses reckons tomorrow for my wrist and maybe a bit longer for my fingers, but everything is healing well. My wrist is starting to itch like crazy some nights, but thankfully it only happens in short bursts. Really fed up of the dressing, but it's important to keep everything clean and well moisturised.

If you'd like to see how it's doing, here's a pic.

So, so much better than it was.

Starting to be able to stretch further in between dressing changes, but when the bandage is on I hardly move my fingers at all. They're going to be really stiff. Thankfully, I know a lovely guy, Sande. He's a trained massage therapist. Once the sensitivity goes down a little, he's going to try giving them a rub with lavender oil, which is supposed to help prevent scarring.

I raided Nakumatt the other day. Bought lavender moisturiser, shea butter and a massage oil with more lavender, frankincense, marigold and geranium (all good for skin repair). Testing them out on my scorched thumb in preparation. Seem to help.



Caught up with Jo the other day. Took the kids to the library and had lunch at the rooftop café there. It was very yummy, but Jo had to cut my food up for me.


It Didn't Look This Pretty After

My former Program Assistant turned Country Director, Maya, came to stay for a couple of days whilst her partner Vincent was working out of town. We drank too much and had a lovely time.  They threw a house warming in Kimisagara on Saturday. I was feeling totally whacked, but went for (you guessed it) 'one drink.'

Ended up in a nightclub at 1am after a fab house party where Maya cooked the most delicious Bosnian spread.

They kept me away from the fire this time.







Team Mayoga (Maya, Vincent, me and new recruit Khaze) will soon be reunited with original member Rose, who is back from studies in Belgium for a while. This could be quite disastrous in terms of liver function.

On top of that, my lovely friend Bhavin is about to arrive from Uganda. This is the guy I was going to visit in DRC but would need to take a UN flight to reach. He managed to visit friends in India and is going home via Kigali this weekend. Haven't seen him in about eight years.

On top of that, my favourite priest is arriving in a couple of days.

I'm a little too excited to speak at the moment.

Life is just so, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!