Saturday 21 May 2016

Oh, What A Night

  

Abandoned Paul  for a night out with the girls last night. They gave him special dispensation but it seems I've already worn him out.

It was my lovely friend Cindy's birthday. We've known each other for years. She was working in a shop in town back when I was a VSO volunteer.

Me & Cindy, Fresh-faced Girls back in 2008

Who would have thought, all these years later, Cindy would grow up to be the owner of several kicking nightclubs in Kigali? 

We started out with VIP treatment at Bar 514 (opposite Rosty in Kisimenti). There was the most incredible band playing - the same guys that rock Mille Collines on a Thursday. Best live music I've heard in ages. They play there each Friday, so go check them out.

 
 

Like Paul, I was absolutely knackered and not really in the mood for a night out.

"I'll just go for one drink..." I said.

The music swept me away, and Cindy's friends were so much fun. We danced solidly until the band finished, indulging in a range of exotic shisha flavours. 




 

 




During the final song we invaded the stage and rocked out with a rendition of Happy Birthday To Ya (Happy Biiiirthday).

Then it was on to another of Cindy's, rather iconic, venues - Papyrus. This is a national institution, like Sole Luna or Republika. I'd been to Papyrus a couple of times since being back, but never to the nightclub underneath - Envy.

On our way there, Cindy received a call to say the President's son was there. When we arrived, the place was teaming with casually-dressed bodyguards. We saw him partying with former Miss Rwanda, and did a whole lot of partying ourselves. Girls will be girls. At one point we played a very drunk game of 'who can slip the most ice cubes down a dress,' then I remember being blinded by a bottle of champagne sprayed in my face (and a very *ahem* chivalrous guy who was trying to chat me up diving for cover behind me rather than using himself as a human shield - don't call me, I won't call you either!).

The wallpaper in the bathrooms was worthy of the carpet at old Cadillac. I was slightly mesmerised.


Though some of the decor I really must ask Cindy about...


We partied the night away, and there was far too much alcohol involved: gin, wine, champagne, whisky...




It was a totally excellent night. Can't remember the last time I danced so much. Had so much fun, and that 'one drink' turned into an all-nighter. Crawled home to bed at 4am, leaving the others still partying hard. I'm so out of practise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!