Friday 1 April 2016

April Foolishness


I have fucking nailed this thing.

By thing, I mean my improvised oven.

By nailed, I mean I can now make a pretty decent quiche without setting fire to the kitchen.

Also made rosemary oil for cooking.


And bought a crepe maker.

  

All of which came in handy today as I've had a hilarious time with Jo.

Since I got back, I've been wanting to visit Christiane's grave, to pay my respects. Jo's off to the UK on Saturday and had a child-free day today as Zuba's at school.

It's been tipping it down the past couple of days. It's the start of the rainy season, and it isn't letting up.


Although Christiane lived in Kibuye, she was in Kigali when she died, and is buried not far out of town. So, we set off in the rain.






The plan was to have a picnic there, but within about five minutes of the place, our car experienced technical difficulties and we had to pull over. The rain let up just long enough for Jo's mechanic to get a moto from Kigali to where we were parked.


We continued with our picnic whilst we waited. This was Jo's Facebook post and pictures.

My car has broken down on the side of the road outside the capital. Happily M has provided bucket-baked quiche and mango jam crepes. She just happened to have them on her.



We had such a laugh, and I could just hear Christiane exclaiming "Oh, my God," in a thick Quebecois accent. Her idea of an April fools, I have no doubt. So, we didn't make it this time round, as we needed to give the mechanic a lift back to town and Jo needed to make the school run, but we're going to try again in a couple of weeks when she gets back - hopefully in better weather.

Cinnamon and Mango Jam Crepe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!