Monday 23 March 2015

CEPGL

Whisky Mac in a Pesto Jar
So Bad, It's Good

Eeeeep!

I'm all excited.

Firstly, I've been implementing my 'everyone sod off' policy and I'm feeling much better for it (though better is relative, I still have a stinking cold that just won't shift). 

I'm focusing on writing, which is going very well. Interspersing writing chapters of my own book with reading chapters of other people's books - very pleasurable, especially horizontal on the couch. I'm in discussions to bring a partner into my business to help me cope. I've cut back on seeing people entirely (What's that missus? You bail on me with five minutes notice and now you want me to drop everything and go drinking? Old me, sure, no problem. New me - not on your nelly! And not just because I need to snot into a tissue.) Up with this I will not put! Here beginneth Hermit Girl.

I like writing more than I like people.

There. I've said it.

Well, except maybe Jo and Zuba. I like them about the same as writing. They can stay.

But, but, but... *excited wiggle* I'm applying for my CEPGL!

Yeah, I can't pronounce it either.

But it's way cool.

Basically, it's sharing the East Africa love. Early this year Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya had a big hug and made themselves a single visa zone for people like me (ex-pat rez). Means I shouldn't get charged at the borders when crossing. 

Then, thanks to friends, I discovered I can get a CEPGL (laissez passer) which allows me to do the same for the DRC and Burundi! I am so stoked at this. I really wanted to visit Buj, but I thought I had to pay $90 for a three-day pass. Apparently, with this, it's a free thirty-day pass!

However, I'm currently DRC bound. 

The UK client I mentioned in my last post has offered me a tour of Goma! 

Yes, the place with the giant volcanic cloud factory!

I've stared at it from Gisenyi, but never been. Along with Burundi, it was on the list of places-you-get-sent-home-for-going-to back when I was a VSO. Since I got back, I've never had the courage to go on my own (there's a border curfew, 6pm-6am, if you don't make it back in time, you're stuck). So the offer of a comfortable car trip with a guy who grew up there is way too interesting to pass up.

Provided I can get well enough by then. 

I didn't realise how many people I know over in Goma. At least two former VSOs are resident. One lives there with her husband, and another's in the process of moving. Back in 2012 it was a war zone. Apparently, after Goma fell, it was going to be called The Volcanic Republic and made into a new country! It's apparently settled down a lot since then. Not as safe as Kigali - but then, where is?


(click to enlarge)


I just feel ridiculously happy at the prospect of seeing somewhere new.

I also know a guy from years back, a distant cousin of the Sharmas of mumugi, who lives somewhere called Kindu. Apparently it's an hour's flight from Goma. 


(click to enlarge)


It's been years since I last saw him, and I'd love to see him again. I'm going to check how much the flights cost and whether I can realistically take the time out. I've always wanted to see the DRC, specifically the Congo Delta, but I'd happily make do with Goma and a rural sojourn. I know my friend B doesn't get many visitors, and he had a shocking time of it during the war. I think it might be fun to catch up. I'd be as safe as I could be with him.

So - something to look forward to, hopefully. Health allowing. (Fuck you health! I don't need your permission!... though I do need LemSip...)

I'm still desperate to go home for a bit, but I might as well amuse myself in between. DRC and - if I can find someone to go with me - Bujumbura before it implodes. (There should be a giant digital clock above the border counting down to elections - or lack of). 

"You have three minutes to reach the border before this country consumes itself..." tick, tick, tick

I am sick as a dog, but I feel totally uplifted. 

Going to stuff my face with a cheese and pesto toastie (I need more jars to drink whisky from...) and wrestle my kettle off this guy so I can make a cup of tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!