Tuesday 7 February 2012

1909

After my posts on the postcards of Mrs. J. Green from the Memory Chest, I had a little look online and was blown away by what I found:


(click to enlarge)


This is where I grew up, taken in 1909. It's like everything is the same, except - in the space where our home now stands - there's a tiny thatched cottage!

I still can't quite comprehend that this sleepy little village was once important enough to feature on so many cards. Wonderful to own one. Also interesting that it's from 1909 - which is the year my character Heath was born in Angorichina. I know a lot about what was going on in Australia at the time. It's fascinating to look through the 1909 Wikipedia entry, wondering who that little girl in the photo is, and how much of all that she was aware of. There's actually a specific entry for May 1909 when it was posted. On 30th May, the very day:

  • For the first time, an airship remained aloft for more than 24 hours. Zeppelin II, with ten on board, flew 400 miles (640 km) from Friedrichshafen to Bitterfeld.
  • Sri Aurobindo delivered what is now called by his followers as the "Uttarpara Speech", in the West Bengal city of that name.
  • Born: Benny Goodman, American musician and 1940s pop star known as "The King of Swing", in Chicago (d. 1986)

Isn't it amazing that, with the click of a button, I can know all of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!