Tuesday 16 August 2016

Squeeee Post


Ladybirds in Rwanda are striped!

*squuuueeee* ~faint~

I'm collecting bugs in my house since the kittens disappeared. I went out and bought two boxes of Go Cat, then never saw them again. Sadly, I suspect they may have gone the way of the previous kittens. People aren't so big on pets here.

Oh well.

We had the most glorious tropical thunder storm last night. Everyone took to Twitter and Facebook to talk about it. After three long, dry months, the word petrichor was celebrated. I feel sad for people back home in the UK who never truly get to experience the joy of rain in quite the same way.



I've also got a bunch of cheeky fuckers pilfering my pawpaw tree!






They're pretty cute really. I actually don't like the taste of papaya much, so they're welcome to it.

Talking of cute...



Such a bittersweet night Sunday night. Maja's off back to Bosnia after running the human rights program. Very hard to see these two separated. Hoping she finds a job here soon. Don't think I've seen two people so much in love since Lies & Kassim's wedding in 2009

Had a wonderful night at their house with friends, and the most delightful chocolate banana cake I've ever tasted in my life.

That wasn't the only sweet surprise.

That guy I was talking about turned up. We spent the entire night talking (he's a writer too). Then we headed to a dodgy club in an even more dodgy area of town. I vaguely remember doing tequila shots at 3 a.m. I think we went to a second club after that, but I don't even remember how we got there. I was the first to throw in the towel at 4 a.m. I haven't had a night out like that in a long time. I'm out of practise. 

I would add pictures, but it's all a bit of a blur...




Though, if I close my eyes and think about it, I do have vague recollections of a drunken, steamy snog. 

Monday was a public holiday, but I had a Fresh Basket delivery at 9:30. I just managed to drag myself to the compound gate, then spent the next ten minutes emptying my stomach in the bushes. I haven't had a hangover like that since... well, now I come to think about it, since the last time I went out with Maja!

Hmm.

Only, now I've got loads of problems.

I'm supposed to finish a novel this week, only I've spent the entire day staring at my computer screen. I haven't written a thing. 

I'm glad I texted Hot Guy on my way home to ask to see him again, because if I'd left it until I was sober, I wouldn't have had the courage. I know tequila and texting don't usually mix well, but this was a rare exception. I'm hopefully seeing him Friday.

Which leads to the other problem. Like the kittens, my house cleaner has disappeared off the face of the planet. I suspect her phone has been stolen as I can't seem to text her and she isn't checking WhatsApp. But she's not replying to e-mail either. I'm bereft. She's left her stuff here, and I need her. She's the best helper I've ever had. I'm not sure what to do now. Jo's dropping off her housekeeper Kazungu on Thursday so that I can borrowing him for a day.

I have so much to do between now and then. I desperately need to focus, but I'm not sure how. 

Think I caught spring fever along with the rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!