Friday 7 August 2015

Guma Guma


Well, that was a rude awakening. 3:27 this morning and I'm wide awake, that tell-tale sound of a dog barking, then the world wobbled. Two aftershocks followed the main event. All very relaxed, bit of door shaking, a possessed bed. Knew that it was far away, suspected DRC. It was nothing like the hippy hippy shakes of 2008 in Cyangugu. But I know people have lost their homes and two children have lost their lives.

Here's to a more peaceful night.

So much to catch up on, not even sure where to begin, as usual.

I'm just going to do an info burst...


I discovered that Harry's Place does an English Breakfast! My first in Rwanda. 

Also, I discovered what sunrise looks like from my garden. 

Bright.


Been doing a lot of workshops at St. Paul's in the centre of town, where Lies & Kassim got married all those years ago. They're back in town. Hoping to catch up with them between the mayhem of a second human rights delegation.

Garden at St. Paul's

Sadly, I couldn't meet the delegation at the airport as half-an-hour beforehand I got the mother of all hemiplegic migraines. Did my best impression of a stroke victim before popping codeine and passing out. Felt like a right numpty. Thankfully my team sorted it out and next morning it was business as usual with a bus tour of the city and cute elephants at Ineza Cooperative.


Meanwhile, at St. Paul's, there was a very fancy wedding taking place. Somebody high up in the police. Full dress uniform and a brass band! Also my first in Rwanda. 


Then it was time to build some imaginary nations. This is always a fun exercise. After a whole day talking human rights, every nation uses up their resources and wealth building borders, battling to be top dog. No one has yet started the game by distributing the resources and wealth equally.

Poor Nation

Middle Income Nation
Wealthy Nation

My lovely program assistant, Maja, had to leave three days into the second program to attend a conference in Hong Kong. One of the best things about this program has been getting to know her, Rose and Vincent. We've had such fun. 

Both Rose and Maja turn thirty this year, so I bought a huge chocolate cake from RZ Mana, the posh Korean bakery in town, with their names on. Bought a couple of those fire fountain things, and surprised them during coffee break with a chorus of Happy Birthday from the participants. 

Couldn't resist a slice of mocha cake for all my organising.



Maja, Last Day
Presentation on Genocide in Bosnia
We sent her off in style, out with the team and our awesome alumni, Nicky and Kalisa.



Ended with shisha, a bottle of champagne, and a round of tequila. I love Maja to pieces, but dear gods, if she'd stayed, I wouldn't have a liver left.

When I got home, there was a dead rat on the porch. Also my first in Rwanda. Not sure why I took a photo. I was very, very drunk - seemed like the right thing to do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!