Thursday 26 March 2015

Rainy Days


Aaaah. The rainy season is well and truly here. I love this time of year. It's the closest to British weather you get - grey, overcast, raining and chilly enough to warrant slippers and a jumper. My favourite type of weather. Nobody goes out when it's raining, so no chance of surprise visitors. There's something really cosy about waking to the sound of rain on the tin roof. Hot chocolate weather. Also writing weather.

Not, however, washing weather. Damascene put my clothes out on the line and they remained there for two days until we saw enough sun to bring them in again.

I've also changed bedrooms and it's made life much pleasanter. I originally took the bedroom with the en suite, but next door's dog barks all night and there's a little shop over the road where people sometimes drink and get a bit loud.

As I have three bedrooms, I decided to switch to the one I was using as the main guest room. It's totally devoid of barking dogs and drunkards. Instead, there's this glorious night chorus of frogs and crickets. It's so soothing. Sleeping much better in there, on my brand new mattress.



Due to the cold weather I had a go at comfort food last night. First time I think I've bought and cooked meat at home. Christiane once made some stunning pork chops, but I just never buy the stuff. The other day I saw they had sausages in Ndoli's, so decided to see how edible they were. I must admit, my poor tummy is screaming for something different. Decided to cook them up with onions, tomatoes, peppers and a ton of garlic, served on a bed of couscous. 

Hit the spot.




Sadly, doesn't look like I'll be seeing my friend B in the DRC. Despite agreeing it would be 'like a dream' to catch up after all this time, I just can't get to him. It's about a thirteen hour bus journey according to Google (read 20), through a highly unstable zone. There's an airport, but I checked SkyScanner and it couldn't find any flights. When I asked, he said planes sometimes go less than once a week and there's no real timetable.

I just can't afford to get stuck out there. I have my job to do.

I'm thinking, maybe if I wrap everything up in September, I might just go see if I can get there before I head back to Blighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!