Friday 26 September 2014

Taxes, Chocolate & Ebola



Absolutely beautiful snapshot of the gorgeous country I live in, taken by Mammoth Media.

What a truly crazy few months it's been, what with all the house moving, setting up a company, undertaking our first big contract. That finished on Wednesday with a presentation to the organisation's 20 staff and guests. Satisfied customers.

It was a close-run thing though, as we only had four days to complete the final report and for two of those days I had no electricity! Dreadful timing. I do love Rwanda, and they've worked so hard to attract new businesses, but when there are regular power, water and internet issues, it can make maintaining that business a little tricky.

Still, we got everything done in time. I completed the presentation about an hour before I had to deliver. Reminded me of my university days, though mostly my panic back then was due to essay avoidance of my own making rather than external powers.

Anyway, it's all over, and it's fun to know that this invoice will, for a short time at least (until I pay my contractors), make me a millionaire in Rwanda. I finally have time to breathe and to look around at my lovely house, my garden and my life here, and acknowledge how far I've come in only four months.

After the presentation I headed to the Post Office and picked up a couple of parcels filled with chocolate and nice soap from home. Thanks Mum and Aunty Jean.

I then headed over to Rwanda Revenue Authority as I needed some tax advice. That's another thing that could do we evaluating. They currently have one lady sat in a small room at the back of the building who gives out tax advice, yet tax advice is the one thing everybody seems to need. There's a queue out the door of people seeking help, so when you do get in there you feel pressured to rush through your questions, and every time I go to RRA I seem to get a completely different answer from whoever I talk to.

I came home just as confused as when I arrived.

Sitting on my porch, wondering what to do, I heard a 'Hello'.

My next door neighbour popped his head over the wall.

"Hello," I replied, and went to introduce myself.

"Where do you work?" I asked.

"RRA."

"No. Way."

Way - I live next door to a tax man, and he's agreed to talk me through the system.

How incredibly fortuitous.

In other news, the house guest who was due to arrive on 28th has since found permanent accommodation in town, so I have the house all to myself. I was looking forward to meeting her, but I'm also looking forward to curling up in bed for a few days and burying myself in a good book. However, I have just re-listed myself on CouchSurfing, as it is nice to meet new people, and my spare room is too spectacular to leave empty for long.

The only other news at the moment is that Rwanda is testing its first suspected Ebola case. Nothing is confirmed yet, and one of my Rwandan friends has displayed general scepticism, so let's hope it proves negative.

[Update: Huzah! We are Ebola free.]

Anyway, the day after my company's contract ended, we were approached by another organisation, so hopefully our next contract is in the pipeline. Onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!