Thursday 18 September 2014

Banana Beer

Oops. It's been at least a week since my last update. Sorry all, it's just been so mentally busy. I've been running lots of surveys, interviews and workshops with talented people, including a little trip to one of Rwanda's leading banks and the Development Board. Fascinating stuff.

Talented People

My colleague Dominic arrived from Uganda on Sunday at 6am, after being mugged en route! Bloody awful. But we've made it through the week, lots of productive work done. Today was our very last day in the office before report writing begins tomorrow. We went across town to Nyamirambo to celebrate with fellow consultant Giulia and her partner. They introduced us to a lethal form of banana beer, brewed by nuns. Extremely potent stuff.





My dear friend Martine - do you recognise these fish brochettes? Can you guess where we were?

We met at Panorama. It's a place that features regularly in my old blog, and one which always brings mixed feelings. I love the place, because it is awesome and I spent a lot of time there, but it also makes me a little sad as it's right next door to where one of my closest friends used to live, and she isn't there anymore. Many an evening I sought sanctuary on her porch. Still, it's okay because she's now in Laos, and that's also an excellent country.

I've eaten well this week. I've done a lot of cooking for Dominic, which has been nice. I was feeling brave and decided to cook him ugali. I was quite nervous serving a Ugandan guy a dish he's eaten all his life. I know my ugali leaves a little to be desired, but he said it was acceptable, and that the sauce was 'really nice'. Result!

Also met up with Jo and Zubadoo at our usual haunt of Via Venteto for chocolate mousse. It's Zuba's third birthday very soon. 

All grown up - trying on mummy's makeup.

Gravity-defying lady!

The garden is coming along nicely and the rains have truly arrived. Since Dominic got here I've had water coming out of my taps almost every day!

We've also had a fourteen-hour blackout, which was not so good. I've always felt this way: I can cope with water shortages because the house is geared up for them, but electricity is very hard to do without. My big tub of expensive ice-cream melted in the freezer, and my laptop died. I start to get withdrawal from the internet after about an hour. Especially with a big report looming. Still, rain makes the flowers grow.






In a glut of electrical indulgence, I finally set up the projector after we got back from the bar tonight. I now have a home movie centre - it's utterly fantastic. Can't wait to watch Cloud Atlas and Pride & Prejudice on this. Makes the whole import debacle worth it. We settled down with waragi and whisky to watch Dodgeball, a very silly film. One of my automatic go-tos for a good belly laugh. 





Got so much to do in the next couple of days, but very happy and contented. Dominic's off back to Kampala tomorrow, report and presentation due on Wednesday, then three days' R&R before my new housemate arrives. Life here is very good. Even with the water and electricity issues, I can't really complain. I'm employed, I have a wonderful house, lots of lovely friends, and I'm living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I am a very lucky lady indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!