Sunday 1 June 2014

Hedonism


And apply the brakes.

One of my housemates invited me out to Jazz at the Goethe-Institut last night, and I realised in that moment that I need to slow down. I think Laos, Kenya and Rwanda all caught up with me - I was knackered. 

It's like I stepped back into the country and picked up exactly where I left off. It's so easy to abandon yourself to hedonism here, there's always something to see, someone to talk to, a party to go to. I need to stop. 

As my friend Karen used to say: HALT. Never get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. I was in need of sleep and food. So I slept in until about 9:30 this morning (when the church up the road got into full swing), then proceeded to have a wonderfully lazy day. Sally made noodles, and we've relocated the main table outside, so it's now an office for four people! 

Little tour of the house...

My Room

With cupboard space.
Richard's room opposite with the bathroom between.
No picture of the bathroom - too small to fit a good picture in,
but we have an electric shower!

Kitchen.
Emergency water supplies.
Some things don't change.
(No electricity today, either!)
All the mod cons: gas cooker and fridge.
Washing machine... (our guard, Jado)

So, I'm thinking of putting some ground rules down for myself about not going out too much and getting home at a sensible time, but I know I'd never stick to them. Though I reckon it's just the buzz of being back. Once I start working, things will settle down again.

Tomorrow I will have been here one week. In that time, I have done the bank, the post office, got all the forms I need to register my business, worked hard and partied hard.

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my website now, and I've registered my domain. I hope to get my business legal early this week. After much umming and ahing over a funky Swahili or Kinya name, I've boringly gone with something a bit dull, but trust-inspiring, I hope. I can always change the name later on.

Pleased at how productive I've been, and how at home I feel already.

My housemates are really great. I've moved in with a girl who owns a purple guitar. That's so cool.


Not only does she own it, she can play it really well, and I've discovered she has a beautiful singing voice. 

Sneaky snap of Sally in the office - supposed to be working, but jamming out instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!