Monday 2 June 2014

Behold - a Business


So, that desk that wouldn't fit into my room... Nadine, Richard and I tried for almost quarter of an hour to get it in there. Then Sally came to help and performed some magical ship-in-a-bottle manouvre, et voilĂ !

High fives all round.

Then we set up the projector, scoffed Sally's dal, and settled in for movie night on our living room wall.



Guess the movie?

So much for taking it easy. I trotted off to RDB again today. It's Monday - if I start the week by achieving something, I feel like I can goof off a bit the rest of the week. 

Filled in my forms and sat for about forty-five minutes battling sleep and hunger (forgot to have breakfast - numpty) until one of the advisers became available. A lovely chap called Gakuba acted as my witness and talked me through the online registration process - which is free! 

All done and dusted. Dead simple. I just need to pop back tomorrow morning to pick up my certificate of registration, then head for the office next door to apply for my work permit. I'm legal, almost.

Glowing with pride at having given birth to a brand new limited company, I followed a sign saying Food Pub behind RDB and ended up eating Korean soup at Monmartse and playing Words with Friends over their wifi.



Look - they accept VISA!

Slightly astonished to see a VISA sign. There's also international ATMs in UTC, MTN Centre and T2000! 

Old Kigalians will also know T2000 as the Chinese shop. Well, it's more of a city now! A two-story supermarket! Stocked to the brim but, like the Embassy bar, no longer all that cheap, even though the goods still are. I was looking for a small bin for the bathroom, had to discard half a dozen cracked ones and still they were asking FRW 5,000. I argued with a shop lady behind the mosque the other day over 3,000 for a towel - they were 7,000+ in T2000! There's also a sign saying 'Customer Service is Our Priority' - like heck. Boxes piled in the aisles so you can't get your trolley through, and most of the stuff isn't even priced. You spend half your time walking around the shop looking for an assistant, repeating nangahe?

Still, some things make you smile.


I splurged on tupperware and stationary. Think I may need to invest in a printer at some stage, seems like a lot of effort though. Might see what happens business-wise first.

Just waiting on a friend to sort out my logo, then I'll finish up the website and start touting for business. I have no expectations, we shall just have to see. The holiday home on the shores of Lake Kivu is a little way off yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!