Friday 18 April 2014

Joyeux Anniversaire!



One year ago today Martine & Ruairí got married in Edinburgh!

Last night we had a little celebration with their friends Mauritzio and Alberto.

When asked what she most wanted in order to celebrate, Martine said 'a cake.' So we headed out the door and cycled round the corner to the bakery.


Robin, the amazing cat draft excluder.

Only, like everywhere else in Laos during Pii Mai, the bakery was closed.

So, we cycled home, dejected.

I find it quite ironic that I deliberately put off going to Rwanda until after April, because I knew everything would be closed for Memorial Week, and here I am in Laos - and everything's closed for New Year ;)


Leaf.


Life in Laos during the dry season is a constant routine of sweeping leaves. You move them into piles, then collect them up into a bucket and empty them onto the fire, where they will eventually be burned.

I helped finish off the driveway whilst Martine went for a shower. Dripping with sweat, I slumped into one of the porch chairs with a satisfied sigh to admire my handiwork... and a leaf fell.

Eventually I had to go inside. Every time I sat down, another leaf - and occasionally a piece of fruit - would land on the perfectly clear concrete. I was getting a little OCD about it.

Meanwhile, Ruairí spent the entire day in the kitchen, cooking an incredible meal.

Mauritzio and Alberto are Italian, so he made a delicious pasta dish with capers and olives, followed by this cashew nut curry with plenty of basmati rice.




Martine, Mauritzio, Ruairí and Alberto.


And what did Alberto and Mauritzio bring with them?

Only the most incredible cake on the planet!







Cake in coffee - also good.

A wonderful way to celebrate two wonderful people. So pleased to be here with them on this auspicious occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!