Thursday 1 August 2013

Lughnasadh


Very strange yesterday morning. Woke up at 5:45 and couldn't get back to sleep. Took a photograph of the sunrise as evidence. Two friends posted that they had both been up unusually early: 5:13 and 5:40. Weird.

Also woke from a dream about horses, and one of my best mates said she also dreamed of me riding a beautiful horse that night. Must be suffering withdrawals - missing Simon.

Despite the lack of sleep and an ungodly hangover, it turned into a lovely day. Met up with my mate Morgen, who incidentally set her alarm for 5:45 to give her housemate a lift to work. We spent the entire day hiding in the cinema. We watched Monsters University and then World's End.

Today, I made a little beer money ringing for a wedding in the village. Nearly dropped something at this beautiful reconditioned Daimler.




And took a funky picture of the main entrance to the church... with two giant cats inside.


We go in through the tradesman's entrance, round back.

Ringers' Entrance

Bells Up
Peephole View

One of the bridesmaids was an incredible violinist and did a couple of solos.

Lepers Window

Suffered for my art. First time I have ever managed to get rope burn in almost two decades of ringing. Still, the free champagne took the edge off.

Quite enjoyed myself. We played Queens, which is my favourite. Though it was really warm, and we were sweating a bit after half an hour of swinging these back and forth.

 

For more on bells, check out my ding-a-ling.

After that, I bundled my brother into the car and showed him the secret road down to the lake. Sean and Jim weren't home, but we spread our towels and took a lovely lazy swim.

He's taken some photos which I'll get up soon.

Then we headed down to Hollowell Sailing Club, where my nephew has just completed his summer sailing course, and is now on windsurfing. Having a wonderful time in the water, like last year.








My nephew, helping to carry a sail.

Rigging his boat for the race.

Setting sail (centre).

Going for one last dive-bomb before home.

Ready...

Steady...

Splash!
Ten years old and he's already an accomplished sailor. We've just acquired a boat, and I'm hoping he'll take me out in it before the week is out.

Our New Boat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!