Wednesday 20 March 2013

House Sitting

Fire Wot I Made

And so our frolics in the Perthshire hills come to a close. 

So much for peace and relaxation! Between Kilmartin and Fortingall, it's been all go. New friends made, old ones reacquainted. Much love to the animal inhabitants of Stag Cottage: Flambo, Mewla and Pip. Also to the local inhabitants, the deer, who lined the road when we arrived. And congratulations to Paul #1 for delivering his first lamb whilst we were up there! Minor emergency with a hill sheep. I was very impressed. Sheep, less so.

Deer

Paul #1 and I came home yesterday. After four nights kipping on the floor in a room with snoring blokes and crazy cats, you'd think I'd be out like a light, but nooo, not me. Had a sudden burst of late-night reading. Then, on four hours sleep, I drove Paul down the road to meet up again with Paul #2 and Lindsay this morning. They're off to an Earth Mysteries conference all the way down south on the English side of the border.

I was given the choice - go and party, or house sit.

I have the whole house to myself for a week! I've been on the road for well over a month now, and tonight is the first night I get to sleep in a proper bed! Not a couch, not a mattress on the floor... a bed

I'm worried I won't remember how it works.

It's also given me time to wash the maggot, which is now draped over the radiator to dry.

Watching the snow fall outside, drinking Hoegaarden from a massive bottle, and sleepily contented. Snuggled up in Paul's jumper. He's the king of knitwear. I remember this jumper from years back (he reckons ten). I've requisitioned it.


So many holes, you don't know what to put your hands through, but doubles up great as a pillow and sure keeps you cosy.

Got the date for Martine & Ruaíri's wedding! Need to be back in Edinburgh for 18th. Can hardly wait. Seems scary real all of a sudden. Happy and excited and giddy about it. 

Heading down to Yorkshire with Paul a few days before, as he's speaking on rock art at another conference. We're also looking to set up a heritage project and need to talk to an old friend about it. Hoping to get back a few days before the wedding to make sure Martine's in a respectably inebriated state.

As well as starting up a project with Paul, I received an awesome e-mail this morning from a friend in Rwanda. I helped set up a charity for Single Parents before I left and it's been through a bit of down-time recently. This friend has now become involved and it looks like everything's about to get going again. She's scarily efficient and enthusiastic, can't help but feel excited about it. 

So many good things going on.

Right. Time to go curl up and get a proper night's sleep. 

This blog is likely to go very quiet for the next few days as I do the reclusive catch-up-on-a-month's-worth-of-sleep, avoid-social-media, get-creative thing. Will report back once there's something to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!