Thursday 28 March 2013

A World of Possibilities

Duck eggs for breakfast, nomnomnom...

Had a wonderful week house sitting Paul's place whilst he went with Paul #2 and Lindsay to a conference down south.

Paul and Paul returned on Tuesday, as Paul #2 is up looking at house prices. Thinking of a move oop north. Whilst he went off to St. Andrews to do that, I rolled out my newly acquired A1 flipchart pad and started putting Paul #1 through his paces. He already runs a successful database in the UK of prehistoric sites, and we're looking to turn it into something a little bigger. This involves setting up a voluntary organisation. We've completed most of the paperwork and it's now time to crack on with the strategy. This, by the way, is my day job.

Three years begins here...
...and ends here.
If you're thinking that tiled floor looks a little familiar, that's because I'm back in Edinburgh.

Decided to let the blokey blokes get on with it, and go in search of female company. Wanted to spend some quality time with Martine before she gets married. I didn't realise, when I made this decision, that she was in Dublin visiting RuaĆ­ri, so I was able to pick her up from Edinburgh Airport last night. 

We got back - there was little food, but much wine. 

I've just learned that Martine will be moving to Ireland a few days after the wedding, before heading to Laos later in the year. I'm so incredibly glad to be here now. I thought we had more time, so all the time we have is precious. It's going to take some coming to terms with, knowing that I can no longer hop in my car and come to see her, but that I'll need to board an aeroplane. Feels like the end of an era; I've loved Edinburgh so much. I'm trying really hard not to think of it as losing my best mate, but gaining a continent. Can't wait to visit Asia!

So many things to think about at the moment. Really excited about the Scottish Project. It's so nice to be involved in something I'm really interested in, with people I like.

It also raises the question of whether I'd like to stay up here a bit longer. I need to cross the border for a bit after the wedding, just to remind myself what England looks like, but maybe it would be good to be up here a bit more? Maybe it would be too sad with Martine gone? Or maybe it would be easier to get to Dublin from here? Maybe Paul might decide he'd rather keep his books in his spare room instead of me... 

Another close friend just announced she's moving back to Rwanda later this year. It's starting to feel like the great abandonment. Another reason I must return down South, and specifically to London, to conduct the mother of all catch-ups before she leaves. 

Maybe it's a sign that I need to get my own backside in gear and go and have some adventures? 

I remember this from Africa. It's always better to be the person leaving than the one left behind.

Sorry, moment of bottomless self-pity there. Even better to let them go first and have time to set up a spare room for me with tasteful decor and a comfortable mattress ;)

Though, if you thought the price of petrol was expensive, you should check out international flights! Ghastly. 

Anyway, plenty of good things to look forward to: wedding, Scottish Project, road trips, hearing all about friends' adventures. 

I really can't complain.


(P.S. I almost crashed the car twice en route to the airport last night - the moon was HUGE.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!