Tuesday 26 February 2013

The Scrabble for Scotland


I always learn something new in Edinburgh. Last time it was the game of Tarot, this time it is Scrabble. More specifically Words with Friends. Despite my literary bent, I'd never played either of these before as I didn't think I'd be much good at it. My vocabulary's not bad, but I am a shockingly bad speller.

Turns out I'm not too shoddy, and it's extremely addictive.

At one point last night, myself, Martine, and our friend Laetitia, were sitting around the kitchen table playing the board version of Scrabble whilst simultaneously playing each other on Words with Friends between moves! I don't think we actually spoke a word to each other for over an hour! 

Futuristic mind hive!

It was surprisingly good fun. 





I've also been sucked in by this thing, where you get four pictures and have to find the common word. I've had an iphone since Christmas and I'm still working out just what it does. 

I think Shazam is the best thing ever invented! I first saw Cathryn use it in Belgium a year ago. We were sitting in a bar and a song was playing on the radio. She pulled out her phone and used Shazam to identify the song. Turned out to be Love, Thy Will be Done by Martika. I just stared at her, open-mouthed. 

I'm still getting used to the possibilities of apps. After playing WWF last night, I put down my phone to go and search for my phone. Took me a while to realise what a twit I was. Think I'd mentally associated my phone as being some sort of computer, so when I wanted to send a text message I needed to find a phone.

Yeah... that or the fact it was almost 1am and I had been drinking.

Talking of drinking...


Chocolate, thy will be done.

I decided to do some cooking the other night for Martine and Laetitia.

It was actually awesome. I was three sheets to the wind on a large bottle of sherry, but the concept was a good one:

  1. Grill salmon steaks
  2. Place on bed of green tagliatelle
  3. Trim with lemon and a hard boiled egg, sliced

Topping:

  • Veg (mushrooms, mange tout, spinach leaves)
  • Garlic 
  • Fresh ginger

Wok fried in honey and soy sauce

It was very yummy indeed. Though it very almost didn't happen. We were all a little (very) drunk and I was standing there impatiently pulling the fish out of the grill and getting increasingly annoyed that it wasn't cooking.

Martine's son arrived home from the pub, wandered in, looked in the grill and said:

"That looks interesting. Are you trying to cook it?"

"Er... yes."

"Maybe turn on the grill?"

At this point I realised that I had turned the oven on full blast with the door wide open. The fish wasn't cooking - we were!

Thanks David :o}

Nice to know little in Edinburgh ever changes. Looking forward to RuaĆ­ri's arrival from Dublin tonight. Lots of wedding planning and moving-to-Laos planning; love, hugs and more alcohol. Such happiness in the household at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!