Tuesday 31 July 2012

My Old Kit-Bag

Trying to think of packing songs. Eliza Doolittle was the best I could manage on one cup of coffee.

For those of you who can remember as far back as the 5th July, you might recall that I'm actually on a road trip.




I completed part one (yellow), but needed to wait on job news before heading north.

I've had a lovely three weeks. Met the lovely Morgen Bailey and Colin Doney who are helping to organise booQfest. Went to cabaret at The Picturedrome. Bought some fish, watched some birds. Got my feet muddy and bought a hat. Rediscovered a love of vinyl. Rang the bells for the Olympics and watched the opening ceremony on TV.

Had some great visitors. Walked into the kitchen one morning to find a giant wood pigeon! It went a bit mental, battering itself against the French door. So I walked up calmly and opened it. At which point the pigeon stopped panicking, looked up at me, hopped onto the door frame, hopped down, and casually walked off across the lawn! Crazy birds. 

That was followed by a giant dragonfly.


You can't really tell from the picture, but it was longer than my hand!

That went out the door, too.

Then there was cheeky Mr. Rabbit, who snuck under the fence and sat sunbathing and eating mum's plants. 


Plus, whilst cleaning out the birdbath, I found a feather from my favourite bird - the Jay. Never found one of those before, and it's from the gorgeous blue flush on its wing. Felt rather privileged.

My Lucky Feather

Best of all, saw my nephew doing his sailing. It rained all month, it's raining now (even hailed yesterday!), but for those six days it was glorious sunshine - not a cloud in the sky!


Day Four - Windsurfing
So, tomorrow I'm setting off for the wonderful Mikron Theatre in Marsden, Yorkshire, where I will be back to my day job, doing something a little less literary related. It's always a pleasure to work with these guys, and I'm looking forward to helping them develop their strategy for the coming years.

Doing a workshop there on Thursday, then heading up to see a Yorkshireman in Scotland on Friday. An old friend I haven't seen in a few years. Apparently there are some stunning waterfalls where he is - can't wait to see them. He was the guy who first got me into standing stones, shamanism and all things lucid. Kindred spirit.

Need to get back down south for booQfest in September. I'll be at Northampton Library from 2-3pm on Sunday 16th September. Come along and say 'hi'.

As I'll be on the road for the next couple of days, busy with work, and possibly without internet once I reach Scotland, there is likely to be a bit of a drop in posts. I may schedule a few if I have time, but perhaps take this opportunity to explore the archives.

Ta'ra Northants, hello highlands...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!