Friday 27 July 2012

My Ding-a-Ling



Well, it's not often I'm out of bed at 7am, but I'm trying to get into the 'limpic spirit.

As part of the 'it's not just about London, it's about the whole country' jive, some bright spark decided it would be a good idea for everyone in the UK to ring a bell at 8:12 in the morning. Doorbells, cowbells, morris bells, bluebells - whatever bells you've got.


Nobody's quite sure what the significance of 8:12 is - other than angry neighbours. Would have made more sense at 20:12, before the opening ceremony. Still, who am I to pull a Romney?


My nephew taking a break from the water.


As we have a church just up the road, it seemed like the most appropriate place to find bells. Even my wee nephew had a go. Kind of crazy to think that the last Olympics to be held in the UK happened the year before my mother was born. May not happen again in my lifetime.

It's also doubly impressive that my nephew had the energy. He's halfway through a six day water sports course. Done sailing, now onto wind surfing, which he's really good at.


How does it go again? Up...and down.
Up...and down...

It's certainly good exercise. Haven't rung bells in years, though I started when I was just a little older than my nephew. One of those things you never really forget how to do.

Still, done our bit. Go Team GB!


Guilsborough's 2012
Olympic Bell Ringing Squad








If you'd like to hear what the bells sound like, there's a video on my Armistice Day post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!