Saturday 8 October 2011

Bidh mi 'gad fhaicinn Edinburgh

A French woman, a Scots man, an Irish man, and an English woman sat in the kitchen...

Sounds like the set-up for a joke.

Our friend RuairĂ­ arrived from Dublin in the wee hours, by which time Martine had taught me the basics of Bridge, just for fun. Not an easy game to play with two people. I had to take the place of my imaginary partner, so spent most of the game playing with myself (err...). Not bad, but I think I prefer Tarot.

At 6am, I was woken on the sofa when RuairĂ­ came in to watch the Ireland v. Wales rugby match. The last time we watched this was at the Deputy Ambassador's house in Kigali back in March 2009. At the time, around twenty Irish people had descended on her house after celebrating the first official St. Patrick's Day celebration in the country the night before. It was a mega atmosphere.

I was the only Wales supporter, having lived in Cardiff for three years beforehand.

A night never forgotten, as Ireland won 17-15. The first Irish grand-slam in sixty-one years! But, as a friend back in Wales said: "Seven world championships, women's championship, Deaf world rugby championship...guess we can give away one to someone else this year."

The atmosphere this time wasn't quite so great. We couldn't figure out how to turn the telly on. So, after clawing out from under the duvet like one of the living dead, I eventually flopped back down to sleep whilst RuairĂ­ went to watch it on his iPad in the kitchen. Apparently, Wales won. Off to google the England score in a minute.

Today my wonderful time in Edinburgh draws to a close. Later, I drive for Glasgow. Off to see another really good friend of mine, Tas. She is an absolutely amazing artist.

Black and white butterfly design.

I'm hoping to get some of her work on my website at some point. Or you can contact her through Facebook. Just staying one night before heading back down South, but can't wait to see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!