Wednesday 22 July 2009

Artefacts

I didn't take many pics from inside the house - it was in a bit of a state - but did take a couple of the stuff on my walls...


Paula bought me this the first Christmas we were here.
Ruairi brought me these back from Kampala.


Cathryn's boyfriend J painted this
and it's on loan in my front room.


[NB 2013: Without going into detail, J turned out to be a rather unsavory character, and it's probable that he didn't paint that picture. The painting was later destroyed and this may be the only picture of it.]

I bought this from the artist at Kasubi tombs in Kampala.
It's painted on Ugandan bark cloth; a virgin dance ceremony.



My nod of the head to Ryangombe and Nyabhingi, both cults in Rwanda. The statues are traditionally Rwandan, the central one is Congolese. On the right-hand-side you can just see a giant African land snail shell which is sacred to Nyabhingi. A guide in Ruhengeri explained that Karisimbi is Nyabhingi's home, where the spirits of people who die with honour go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!