Friday 24 August 2012

Swamp Juice



Well, my two month abstinence has been well and truly shattered by yesterday's breakfast of caffeine, nicotine and leftover doner kibab.

Bliss.

I appear to have arrived in Edinburgh during the festival!

Wicked, awesome, yay, woop woop!

I've never been before, and what an introduction <insert happy face>.

Martine and I met up with Laetitia at the Box Office and bought tickets to see Knee Deep (AKA CASUS) in the evening, an Australian four-piece circus.

We then headed off to find a drink, however, I spotted this en route:






Back when I was working at the theatre in Gloucester, I went to visit Parabola Arts in Cheltenham. I saw Swamp Juice advertised and really wanted to go, but didn't make it. What was incredible was that, walking past all the flyers, I spotted the poster, gave a little squeee of delight, and discovered, after Laetitia convinced me beer could wait, that it was on right now in the venue we were standing outside of!

It. Was. Brilliant.

Haven't seen anything as good in a long while.


He's a Canadian shadow puppeteer with more than a hint of Salad Fingers about him. The show culminates in an incredible 3D puppet show. Honestly - it's the bestest thing ever. Creepy, funny, swamp juicy goodness. If you ever get the chance - go!

So, that was an unexpected and somewhat serendipitous surprise.

We interluded with beer and chips on the makeshift lawn outside the Spiegeltent Teatro, where Knee Deep were performing.

I've decided I want to live in a spiegeltent. They are better than houses. I first saw one at the Cheltenham Literature Festival last year, being used as a German Beer Tent. This one was very similar, but turned into a mini circus.





Hard to get a decent picture, but it was lovely.

Knee Deep are incredible. Three blokes and a lovely lady with the most gorgeous flower tattoos up her body. Old school acrobatics meets modern day movement - with eggs. Well worth watching.

Other highlights of the day included:


Bus ride through Edinburgh.


Balloons!


Giant inflatable cow bar.


Colourful carvings.


Street performers galore.


Totally fantastic introduction to the Edinburgh Fringe. Rounded off the night with a  bottle of red and these divine Belgian chocolate and salted caramel torts - with edible gold. Nomnomnom.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!